To further boost activity in the area of drug discovery and promote cross-Welsh HEI collaboration the Network seeks to support a number of platform projects across its range of activity. Grants will be made of up to £50K to fund assays or platform technologies that will support research in the area of drug discovery. Assays and technologies aimed at new targets of clear relevance to novel drug discovery will be preferred.
- All applications must clearly demonstrate that they are directly relevant to drug discovery in an area of unmet medical and veterinary need.
- Applications are invited from any university within Wales.
- Preference may be given to projects relevant to oncology, infectious disease or neuroscience, but other relevant areas are welcome.
- Proposals involving more than one Welsh university are particularly welcome and all successful applicants will need to offer free access to the assays or technology to a limited number of candidate samples generated by academics from across Wales.
- Applicants are expected to collaborate with other researchers from across Wales which could benefit from access to this technology and detail such access will be managed.
Since January 2014, the Network has awarded 9 Platform Grants and renewed 3 of those Grants for successful applicants.