56 PhD Studentships across Wales which are all 50/50 co-funded by HEI’s, industry, charity or other partners.
47 Post Doctoral Research Projects across Wales, aimed at developing exemplification data for subsequent applications to major funding bodies or industry partners.
10 Platforms, plus 3 extended platforms available across Wales, allowing academics to gain access to cutting edge technologies and expertise from other institutions.
15 Research Impact Awards across Wales, which maximise the commercial, societal or scientific impact of previously funded Research Projects or PhD studentships.
All projects funded by the Network met the following criteria for investment:
- Research Excellence
- In an excellent laboratory
- In an area of unmet medical opportunity
- Possibility of commercialisation
- Potential to leverage further research funding (e.g. RCUK or the EU)
- Collaboration: including within Wales, across academic disciplines and with third parties such as industry, NHS or charities.
- Timeline and Risk
The Network has supported a board range of therapeutic areas predominantly in the following areas:
- Diseases of the central nervous system: To include Alzheimer’s disease
- Oncology: To include leukaemias and solid tumours
- Infectious diseases: To include viral, bacterial and fungal disease
- Other diseases with unmet medical need
The Network has funded a range of activities aimed at building long term research capacity and increasing the level of research funding awarded to Welsh universities. All universities in Wales were eligible to apply as long as applicants could demonstrate their proposal met the Network’s criteria for investment.