One of the Life Sciences Research Network’s objectives is to increase the volume of high quality research coming from Welsh higher education institutions. All publications listed here were supported by the Life Science Research Network Wales and funded through the Welsh Government’s Ser Cymru programme.
Professor Rudolf Allemann, Cardiff University
- Adams, S.et al. 2015. Conformationally restricted calpain inhibitors. Chemical Science 6(12), pp. 6865-6871. (10.1039/c5sc01158b)
- Loveridge, E.et al. 2017. Reduction of folate by dihydrofolate reductase from thermotoga maritima. Biochemistry 56(13), pp. 1879-1886. (10.1021/acs.biochem.6b01268)
- Hughes, R.et al. 2017. A rapid analysis of variations in conformational behavior during dihydrofolate reductase catalysis. Biochemistry 56(15), pp. 2126-2133. (10.1021/acs.biochem.7b00045)
Professor Yves Barde, Cardiff University
- Chacon Fernandez, P.et al. 2016. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor in megakaryocytes. Journal of Biological Chemistry 291(19), pp. 9872-9881., article number: jbc.M116.720029. (10.1074/jbc.M116.720029)
Professor Andrea Brancale, Dr Salvatore Ferla, Dr Ed James, Cardiff University
- Bauer, L. et. al. 2018. Structure-activity relationship study of itraconazole, a broad-range inhibitor of picornavirus replication that targets oxysterol-binding protein (OSBP). Antiviral Research, 156, 55-63.
- Ramognali, R. et. al. 2018. 3-Aryl/Heteroaryl-5-amino-1-(3′,4′,5′-trimethoxybenzoyl)-1,2,4-triazoles as antimicrotubule agents. Design, synthesis, antiproliferative activity and inhibition of tubulin polymerization. Bioorganic Chemistry, 80, 361.374.
- Ferla, S. et.al. 2018. In silico screening for human norovirus antivirals reveals a novel non-nucleoside inhibitor of the viral polymerase. Scientific Reports, 8, Article number: 4129.
- Slusarczyk, M. et al. 2018. Synthesis and biological evaluation of 6-substituted-5-fluorouridine ProTides. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 26,3, 551-565.
- Romagnoli, R. et al. 2017. 2-Alkoxycarbonyl-3-arylamino-5-substituted thiophenes as a novel class of antimicrotubule agents: Design, synthesis, cell growth and tubulin polymerization inhibition. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 143, 683-698.
- Ferrara, M. et al. 2018. Small molecules targeted to the microtubule-HEC1 interaction inhibit cancer cell growth through microtubule stabilization. Oncogene 37, 231-240.
- Lauder, S. N. et al. 2017. Networks of enzymatically oxidized membrane lipids support calcium-dependent coagulation factor binding to maintain hemostasis. Sci Signal, 10, issue 507.
- Netzler, N.E. et at 2017. Broad-spectrum non-nucleoside inhibitors for caliciviruses. Antiviral Research, 146, pp 65-75.
- James, E. et.al. 2017. Kinase-Independent Phosphoramidate S1P1 Receptor Agonist Benzyl Ether Derivatives. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry 27(6) (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bmcl.2017.02.011)
- Scuotto, M. et.al. 2017. Discovery of novel multi-target indole-based derivatives as potent and selective inhibitors of chikungunya virus replication. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry 25(1). (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bmc.2016.10.037)
- Romagnoli, R.et al. 2017. Synthesis and Biological Evaluation of 2-Methyl-4,5-Disubstituted Oxazoles as a Novel Class of Highly Potent Antitubulin Agents. Scientific Reports 7, article number: 46356. (10.1038/srep46356)
- Brancale, A.et al. 2017. Therapeutically targeting guanylate cyclase-C: computational modeling of plecanatide, a uroguanylin analog. Pharmacology Research & Perspectives 5(2), article number: e00295. (10.1002/prp2.295)
- Romagnoli, R.et al. 2016. Design and synthesis of potent in vitro and in vivo anticancer agents based on 1-(3′,4′,5′-Trimethoxyphenyl)- 2-Aryl-1H-Imidazole. Scientific Reports 6, pp. 26602. (10.1038/srep26602)
- Grande, F. et.al 2016. Quercetin derivatives as novel antihypertensive agents: synthesis and physiological characterisation. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 82. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejps.2015.11.021)
- Brancale, A. et.al. 2016. Molecular dynamics studies on plecanatide, a uroguanyl peptide derivative, against the chronic idiopathic constipation (CIC). Gastroenterology 150, 4. (https://doi.org/10.1016/S0016-5085(16)32373-3)
Professor Peter Brophy, Aberystwyth University
- Geyer, K.K. et al. 2017. The Biomphalaria glabrata DNA methylation machinery displays spatial tissue expression, is differentially active in distinct snail populations and is modulated by interactions with Schistosoma mansoni. PLOS, May 2017.
Dr Jun Cai, Malamati Kourti, Dr Hoi Ping Weeks, Cardiff University
- Kourti, M., Jiang, W. and Cai, J. 2017. Aspects of carbon monoxide in form of CO-releasing molecules used in cancer treatment: More light on the way. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity 2017, article number: 9326454. (10.1155/2017/9326454)
- Fosu-Mensah, N. et.al. 2015. Advances in small molecule drug discovery for triple negative breast cancer. Future Medicinal Chemistry, 17 (15). (https://doi.org/10.4155/fmc.15.129)
Professor Angela Casini
- Karaca, O. et al. 2017. On the binding modes of metal NHC complexes with DNA secondary structures: implications for therapy and imaging. Chem Commun, 53, pp 8429-8260.
- Karaca, O. et al. 2017. Characterization of Hydrophilic Gold(I) N‐Heterocyclic Carbene (NHC) Complexes as Potent TrxR Inhibitors Using Biochemical and Mass Spectrometric Approaches. Inorg. Chem, 56, 22, pp 14237–14250.
- Wenzel, M.N. et al. 2018. Selective targeting of PARP-1 zinc finger recognition domains with Au(III) organometallics. Chem. Commun, 54, 611-614.
Dr Aled Clayton, Vincent Yeung and Dr Jason Webber, Cardiff University
- Yeung, V. et.al. 2018. Rab35-dependent extracellular nanovesicles are required for induction of tumour supporting stroma. Nanoscale, 2018, 10, 8547-8559.
- Webber, J.et al. 2016. Prostate stromal cell proteomics analysis discriminates normal from tumour reactive stromal phenotypes. Oncotarget (10.18632/oncotarget.7716)
- Webber, J. et.al 2015. Extracellular vesicles as modulators of the cancer microenvironment. Seminars in Cell & Development Biology, 40. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semcdb.2015.01.013)
- Connolly, K.et al. 2015. Characterisation of adipocyte-derived extracellular vesicles released pre- and post-adipogenesis. Journal of Extracellular Vesicles 4(s1) (10.3402/jev.v4.29159)
Dr David Cole and Alexander Greenshields-Watson, Medicine, Cardiff University
Dr Chris Creevey and Ben Thomas, Aberyswyth University
- Deep sequence analysis reveals the ovine rumen as a reservoir of antibiotic resistance genes. Environmental Pollution, 235, 571-575.
Dr Ian Fallis, Cardiff University
- Amoroso, A. J., Fallis, I. A. and Pope, S. J. A. 2017. Chelating agents for radiolanthanides: applications to imaging and therapy. Coordination Chemistry Reviews 340, pp. 198-219. (10.1016/j.ccr.2017.01.010)
Dr Nigel Francis, Swansea University
- Jones, N. et.al. 2017. Metabolic Adaptation of Human CD4+ and CD8+ T-Cells to T-Cell Receptor-Mediated Stimulation. Frontiers in Immunology 8
Dr Deya Gonzalez, Swansea University
- Howard, D. et.al. 2016. Antibody- drug conjugates and other nanomedicines: the frontier of gynaecological cancer treatment. Interface Focus 6 (6). 10.1098/rsfs.2016.0054
Dr Chris Gwenin, V. Gwenin, P. Paramasivan, J. Halliwell, P. Ball, G. Robinson, University of Wales Bangor
- Identification of novel nitroreductases from Bacillus cereus and their interaction with the CB1954 prodrug
Professor Karl Hoffmann, Aberystwyth University
- Roquis, D. et. al. 2018. Histone methylation changes are essential for life cycle progression in the human parasite Schistosoma mansoni. PLOS Pathogens (online)
- Crusco, A. et.al. 2018. Design, synthesis and anthelmintic activity of 7-keto-sempervirol analogues. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, Volume 152, May 2018, pp 87-100.
- Nur-e alam, M. et al. 2017. Neoclerodane diterpenoids from Reehal Fatima, Teucrium yemense. Journal of Natural Products, 80(6), pp 1900-1908.
- Cosseau, C. et.al. 2016. (Epi)genetic inheritance in Schistosoma mansoni: a systems approach. Trends in Parasitology, Volume 33, Issue 4, April 2017, Pages 285–294 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pt.2016.12.002)
Dr Owain Howell, Swansea University
- 2016. Complement is activated in progressive multiple sclerosis cortical grey matter lesions. Journal of Neuroinflammation 13(1) 10.1186/s12974-016-0611-x
Dr Sharon Huws, Aberystwyth University (formerly)
- Oyama, L.B. et al. 2017. The rumen microbiome: an underexplored resource for novel antimicrobial discovery. NPJ Biofilms and Microbiomes, 2017, 33.
Professor Gareth Jenkins, Swansea University
- Shah, U.K. et al. 2017. A three-dimensional in vitro HepG2 cells liver spheroid model for genotoxicity studies. Mutation Research/Genetic Toxicology and Environmental Mutagenesis 825, 51-58.
Professor Wen Jiang, Dr Sioned Owen, Cardiff University
- Jiang, W.et al. 2015. YangZheng XiaoJi exerts anti-tumour growth effects by antagonising the effects of HGF and its receptor, cMET, in human lung cancer cells. Journal of Translational Medicine 13, article number: 280. (10.1186/s12967-015-0639-1)
- Importance of osteoprotegrin OPG and receptor activator of nuclear factor RANK in breast cancer cell response to hepatocyte growth factor HGF and the bone microenvironment in vitro
- Expression of human complement inhibitor Sushi Domain-containing protein 4 SUSD4 by tumor cells and CD8+ T cells in breast cancer is associated with improved prognosis.
- Emerging role of CCN family proteins in tumourigenesis and cancer metastasis
- Interleukin-24 (IL-24) expression and biological impact on HECV endothelial cells
- Owen, S.et al. 2017. ShenLingLan influences the attachment and migration of ovarian cancer cells potentially through the GSK3 pathway. Medicines 7, pp. 1-11.
- Owen, S.et al. 2016. Heat shock protein 27 is a potential indicator for response to YangZheng XiaoJi and chemotherapy agents in cancer cells. International Journal of Oncology 49, pp. 1839-1847. (10.3892/ijo.2016.3685)
- Xie, M.et al. 2016. Insights into roles of the miR-1, -133 and -206 family in gastric cancer (Review). Oncology Reports (10.3892/or.2016.4908)
- Owen, S.et al. 2016. Effect of YangZheng XiaoJi Extract, DME-25, on endothelial cells and their response to Avastin.. Anticancer Research 36(3), pp. 1181-1192.
- Shi, L.et al. 2016. Clinical and therapeutic implications of follistatin in solid tumours. Cancer Genomics and Proteomics 13(6), pp. 425-435. (10.21873/cgp.200xx)
- Jones, A.et al. 2016. The clinical significance and impact of interleukin 15 on keratinocyte cell growth and migration. International Journal of Molecular Medicine 38, pp. 679-686. (10.3892/ijmm.2016.2687)
- Owen, S.et al. 2016. Targeting of Receptor Activator of Nuclear Kappa B (RANK) in PC-3 cells increases cell proliferation and matrix adhesion in vitro.. Anticancer Research 36(3), pp. 1127-1134.
- Zhao, H.et al. 2016. The clinical implications of RSK1-3 in human breast cancer. Anticancer Research 36(3), pp. 1267-1274.
- Sun, PH. et al. 2017. Dual roles of protein tyrosine phosphatase kappa in coordinating angiogenesis induced by pro-angiogenic factors. International Journal of Oncology 50, pp1127-1135.
- Yang, X. et al. 2017. A novel NHERF1 mutation in human breast cancer and effects on malignant progression. AntiCancer Research 37(1), pp 67-73.
- Escudero-Esparza, A. et al. 2016. Complement inhibitor CSMD1 acts as tumor suppressor in human breast cancer. Oncotarget 7(47), pp 76920-76933.
- Ablin, R.J. et al. 2017. Prostate transglutaminase (TGase-4) induces epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition in prostate cancer cells. Anticancer Res, 37(2), pp481-487.
- Zhao, H.et al. 2017. The effect of aurora kinase inhibitor on adhesion and migration in human breast cancer cells and clinical implications. World Journal of Oncology 8(5), pp. 151-161. (10.14740/wjon1062w)
Dr Gareth Jones, Cardiff University
- Hill, D.G. et.al. 2018. Hyperactive gp130/STAT3‐driven gastric tumourigenesis promotes submucosal tertiary lymphoid structure development. International Journal of Cancer, Volume 143, Issue 1, pp. 167-178.
- Jones, G.W. et.al. 2018. IL-27: a double agent in the IL-6 family. Clinical and Experimental Immunology, 2018 (online)
Dr Joel Loveridge, Swansea University
- Loveridge E.J. et al. 2017. Reclassification of the Specialized Metabolite Producer Pseudomonas mesoacidophila ATCC 31433 as a Member of the Burkholderia cepacia Complex. Journal of Bacterology 199(13)
Professor Chris Marshall, Cardiff University
- Marshall, C.et al. 2015. Implementation of routine production of [18F]-fallypride on the TRASIS all-in-one universal synthesizer. European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging 42, pp. S479-S479.
Dr Tracey Martin and Bethan Frugtniet, Cardiff University
- Frugtniet, B. et al. 2015. Role of WASP and WAVE family proteins in Breast Cancer invasion and metastasis Breast Cancer: Targets & Therapy, 7 , pp 99-109.
- Frugtniet, B. et al. 2017. Neural Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome protein (nWASP) is implicated in human lung cancer invasion. BMC Cancer 17:224.
Professor Paul Morgan, Cardiff University
- Zelek, M. et. al. 2018. Characterising a pH-switch anti-C5 antibody as a tool for human and mouse complement C5 purification and cross-species inhibition of classical and reactive lysis. Immunology. (online)
- Boshra, H. et al. 2018. Absence of CD59 in guinea pigs: analysis of the Cavia Porcellus genome identifies a novel CD59 pseudogene.
- Zelek, W.M. et.al. 2018. Measurement of soluble CD59 in CSF in demyelinating disease: evidence for an intrathecal source of soluble CD59. Multiple Sclerosis Journal, 2018.
Professor Luis Mur, Aberystwyth University
- Baptista, R. et. al. 2018. Target discovery focused approaches to overcome bottlenecks in the exploitation of anti-mycobacterial natural products. Future Medicinal Chemistry, Vol 10, No.7
- Baptista, R. et al. 2018. Untargeted metabolomics reveals a new mode of action of pertained (PA-284). Scientific Reports, 8, Article number 5084.
Dr Wayne Nishio Ayre, Dentistry, Cardiff University
Dr Alan Parker and Dr Sarah Curtis, Medicine, Cardiff University
- Hulin-Curtis, S. et. al. 2018. Histone deacetylase inhibitor trichostatin A sensitises cisplatin-resistant ovarian cancer cells to oncolytic adenovirus. Oncotarget, 9, 26328-26341.
- Oncolytic adenovirus: strategies and insights for vector design and immun-oncolytic applications
- Evaluation of CD46 utilising adenoviral vectors for clinical ovarian cancer applications
- Pseudotyped αvβ6 integrin-targeted adenovirus vectors for ovarian cancer therapies
Dr Girish Patel, Cardiff University
- Coles, SJ. et.al 2015. The immunosuppressive ligands PD-L1 and CD200 are linked in AML T-cell immunosuppression: identification of a new immunotherapeutic synapse. Leukemia 2015 (29) (http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/leu.2015.62)
Dr Kathryn Peall, Cardiff University
- Peall, K.J. et al. 2017. A review of psychiatric co-morbidity described in genetic and immune mediated movement disorders. Neuroscience and Biobehaviourial Reviews, 80, pp 23-35.
- Peall, K.J. et al. 2017. Low CSF 5-HIAA in Myoclonus Dystonia. Mov Disord., 32: 1647–1649
- Zutt, R. et. al. 2018. Electrophysiological testing aids diagnosis and subtyping of myoclonus. Neurology, 90, 647-657.
Dr Fabrizio Pertusati and Elisa Pileggi, Cardiff University
- Pileggi et al, 2018. Expedient synthesis and biological evaluation of alkenyl acyclic nucleoside phosphonate prodrug. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 26,12: 3596-3609.
Dr Luke Piggott, Cardiff University
- Piggott, L. et. al. 2018. Acquired resistance of ER- positive breast cancer to endocrine treatment confers an adaptive sensitivity to TRAIL through post-translational downregulation of c-FLIP. Clinical Cancer Research. (online)
Professor Vincent Piguet, Cardiff University
- Collins, P. J. et al. 2017. Epithelial CXCL14 synergizes with CXCL12 via allosteric modulation of CXCR4. FASEB, 2017 (7),pp 3084-3097.
Dr Polina Prokopovich and Silvia Latanza, Cardiff University
- Al Thaher, Y. et. al. 2018. Role of poly-beta-amino-esters hydrolysis and electrostatic attraction in gentamicin release from layer-by-layer coatings. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 526, 35-42.
Professor Andrew Quantock, Cardiff University
- Chan, W.et al. 2016. Topical delivery of a Rho-kinase inhibitor to the cornea via Mucoadhesive film. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 91, pp. 256-264. (10.1016/j.ejps.2016.05.016)
- Nada, H. et.al. 2016. Enzymatic Resistance of Corneas Crosslinked Using Riboflavin in Conjunction With Low Energy, High Energy, and Pulsed UVA Irradiation Mode. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science April 2016, Vol.57, 1547-1552. (10.1167/iovs.15-18769)
- Akhbanbetova, A. et al. 2017. Surgical cryocrobe for targeted transcorneal freezing and endothelial cell removal. Journal of Ophthalmology.
Professor Andrew Sewell, Cardiff University
- Dolton, G. et. al. 2018. Optimized Peptide–MHC Multimer Protocols for Detection and Isolation of Autoimmune T-Cells. Frontiers in Immunology, 9:1378
Dr Richard Stanton, Cardiff University
- Murrell, I.et al. 2016. Genetic stability of BAC-deerived human cytomegalovirus during culture in vitro. Journal of Virology 90(8), pp. 3929-3943. (10.1128/JVI.02858-15)
- Murrell, I. et al. 2017. The pentameric complex drives immunologically covert cell–cell transmission of wild-type human cytomegalovirus. PNAS, 114 (23) 6104-61.9.
Professor Cathy Thornton, Swansea University
- Jones, N. et.al. 2016. Bioenergetic Analysis of Human Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells. Clinical & Experimental Immunology, Volume: 182, Issue: 1, Pages: 69 – 80. (10.1111/cei.12662)
Professor Andrew Westwell, Cardiff University
- Hamdy, R.et al. 2017. Synthesis and evaluation of 5-(1H-indol-3-yl)-N-aryl-1,3,4-oxadiazol-2-amines as Bcl-2 inhibitory anticancer agents. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters 27(4), pp. 1037-1040. (10.1016/j.bmcl.2016.12.061)
- Kandil, S.et al. 2016. ProTides of BVdU as potential anticancer agents upon efficient intracellular delivery of their activated metabolites. Biorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters 26(23), pp. 5618-5623. (10.1016/j.bmcl.2016.10.077)
- Kandil, S. et al. 2017. The discovery of new and more potent chloropyramine (C4) analogues for the potential treatment of invasive breast cancer. Chem Biol Drug Des. 91:314–321.
- Cavaliere, A. et al. 2017. Fluorinated nucleosides as an important class of anticancer and antiviral agents. Future Med. Chem. 9(15), 1809–1833.